[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Mar 11 08:16:35 UTC 2009

Jon Bishop wrote:

>Yes and no. I'm not saying everyone should produce ALL their own
>energy. That would be impractical, and fall right in line with what
>you're saying... but SOME of the energy - that's easy. It might be
>that it needs to be a socialized system (oh no, I said the S word)
>where everyone pays for the electricity that they use, and rather
>than building huge solar farms in the desert, the utilities take the
>surplus and offer incentive programs to install solar on rooftops.
>Instead of lobbying to build huge dams that might have irreversible
>impacts on the environment, they could use that money to install
>micro-hydro facilities in every creek and river in the US. Many of
>these facilities would be on private land, and none of them would
>disrupt the flow of the water. By doing this, we also gain the
>benefit of a decentralized grid, and when grid-tied systems are
>hooked up properly (that transfer switch is very important) with
>battery banks in many of these people's homes, we won't NEED to
>build huge nuclear reactors to make up for the energy that we're
>currently producing from coal.
>
>>Making every individual generate some energy creates huge inefficiencies
>>which, when simplified, translates to making everyone needlessly poorer.
>
>I don't see how you figure that. By having energy placed into the
>grid WHERE it is BEING USED instead of generating it in Arizona and
>shipping it over high voltage lines across hundreds of miles, you're
>reducing inefficiencies in the grid.

In general (and yes, it's a sweeping generalisation), people in the
electricity industry aren't keen on large levels of embedded
generation. In small amounts it's "OK", but there are real worries
about what large amounts of embedded generation will do to control
and stability. As it is, I believe in the US the main distribution
system is split (with DC links) to avoid the problem of trying to
control and keep stable an AC system the size of the North American
continent (or at least, last time I looked it was like that).

How much embedded generation is tolerable before system stability is
at risk is something that's "keenly debated" !

So the distribution companies aren't keen as it complicates their
switching and protection. Generators aren't keen as it either takes
some of their base load (the most profitable) or makes them vary
output more, or both. And the people running the grid and responsible
for it being stable don't like it because it's hard to control.

And there is the detail every pro<whatever> campaigner seems to
ignore - certainly for wind, for every kW of wind capacity, you need
a kW of conventional capacity to back it up when the wind stops
blowing. The usual counter argument is that the wind will blow
somewhere - but historical figures show that a few years ago, the
whole of Europe was more or less becalmed for 10 days ! Now, if you
are a generator, being asked to provide 'back up' capacity that won't
be called on much, and will be required to cycle a lot, then you
aren't going to put in the cleanest, most advanced gas turbines
(about the only technology with the speed of response required) -
you'll put in the cheapest on the basis that it's not going to earn
much revenue when it's not generating, and it's not going to last too
long when constantly cycled. Result ? Wind results in more emissions !

Not saying wind is bad, but you have to think of the WHOLE picture.
Of course, solar is even worse, you know that EVERY day, all solar in
the US will stop generating. Just like ALL solar in Europe will stop
generating a few hours earlier.
So you either have to have storage (and apart from hydro we don't
have a reasonably cheap, large capacity storage technology), or we
cycle other plant to take the load. Since we've already used just
about all the <politically> possible pumped-hydro storage sites, that
means we have to cycle conventional plant more if we have large
amounts of solar.

Now we're even more off topic !

--
Simon Hobson