[mythtv-users] Second PVR not seen by MythTVSetup, working now, but why?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 11 23:15:26 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 March 2009 15:21:17 Brian Wood wrote:
> Here's a new one for me:
>
> Trying to add 2 PVR-150s to a newly built machine.
>
> The first card (/dev/video0) works just fine.
>
> I can't add the second card, usually I can just scroll through the
> available devices, but I can only get /dev/video0. If I manually set it to
> video1 it says it can't open the card.
>
> Boot logs show both cards being initialized normally.
>
> Both devices appear to be there:
>
> ls -l /dev/vid*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      6 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video -> video0
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81,  0 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81,  1 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video1
> crw-rw----+ 1 root root 81, 24 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video24
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 25 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video25
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 32 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video32
> crw-rw----  1 root root 81, 33 2009-03-10 17:41 /dev/video33
>
> This looks correct to me, except:
>
> I don't understand what the "+" is after the video0 device. I don't think
> it's the suid bit, or any of the things I'm familiar with.
>
> But the device with the "+" works, the one without it does not. I'd just
> add the "+", if I had any idea what it might be.
>
> This is a Fedora 10 machine, does Fedora handle permission listings
> differently somehow?
>
> I can cat /dev/video0 or cat /dev/video1 (as root) and get data dumped as
> usual from both devices.
>
> It's not an interrupt contention problem:
>
> cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0       CPU1
>  20:       1229     131882   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ivtv0
>  21:          0        402   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ivtv1
>

> Any ideas appreciated, as usual.

Further info:

I re-booted the machine and the second PVR card now works normally.

There is now a "+" after /video/32 permissions, which was not there before. So
all devices associated with the first card now have the "+", and both cards
are working.

I hate things that start working for no known reason. I'd rather have smoke
coming out of the box, it's easier to troubleshoot.
--
beww
beww at beww.org