[mythtv-users] How to clean up database?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 05:45:07 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/12 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>

> Have you got a lot of current recordings? A good chunk of that 200MiB
> could be the recordedseek information for those recordings. It is
> possible (although not through normal operation) for recordedseek data
> to linger even after the recording has been deleted.

1.2TB worth ... I keep the original MPEG2 (from DVB-T) file.

Though I could use transcode, but transcode always gave me errors and never
ever completed.

> On my current system, I have 100GB of recordings (~50hrs) in MPEG-2
> format, and the associated recordedseek data is taking up 36MiB with a
> 10MiB overhead. This represents about 45% of the total database size.
>
> Another sizeable chunk could be the program listings data for your
> configured channels.
>
> You can check your /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg directory and list by
> filesize to see which tables in the DB are taking up the most space.
> IMO it is unlikely (although not impossible) that you will have many
> MiB of associated cruft in other places in the database.

Well, I don't care much about the size of the database ... More like I would
like to start as if it was a brand new mythtv installation, without any of
the old settings that came from 0.18 and got dragged through.

Like for the imdb scripts.
on my system I have to fill three fields . On a new 0.21, there's only one
required

I've been enjoying your backup scripts BTW ... I still have an error here
and there where it doesn't automatically find the latest backup name , and I
have to specify it on the command line.

Jean-Yves