[mythtv-users] Anyone using a "Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S Plus PCI Card - Model 790

Adam Skinner kingmoffa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:21:14 UTC 2009

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:03:20 -0000 (UTC)
> From: "David Knight" <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Anyone using a "Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-S
>         Plus PCI Card - Model 790"
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Thu, March 12, 2009 11:31 am, Adam Skinner wrote:
> >
> > I need a cheap DVB-S card - the linux dvb wiki has some info - but
> not
> > lots.
> >
> > Its the model 790 part that is throwing me off - after I bought a
> dvb-t
> > card that looked like it was supported but the different model
> number
> > had different chips.
> >
> > Here is where it is from:
> >

> http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/904352/Hauppauge-WinTV-NOVA-S-PLUS-Digital-Satellite-PCI-Card-Model-790/Product.html
> >
> > Linux dvb wiki -
> >
> > http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-S-Plus
> >

> > If anyone has one of these - please can you tell me if its working?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> Hi Adam,
>
>    I have an older Nova-S in my PC and it works fine, I think as long
> as
> the DVB-S tuner chip is the same then it should work fine. I think the
> only difference is that you have the extra video inputs on the plus
> model.
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-S_PCI
>
> It says on the link above that the 794 has been supported since 2005.
> Mine
> worked straight away in Fedora 10 without on configuration. What
> results
> or you getting and which distribution are you running ?
>
> Dave K.

Hi Dave,

I dont actually have this card yet - just thinking of buying. Dont want
to get my hands burnt. I will be running ubuntu intrepid 8.10 with a
month or so old build of mythtv from svn 0.21

I dont need the extra inputs - I just quite like ordering from play.com
the price didn't seem that bad either - I've seen some dvb-S cards at
the £100 mark.

Adam