[mythtv-users] vdpau deinterlacing

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 13:19:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just installed my new MSI silent 8400GS low profile video card with
> 512MB RAM and g98 core. For anyone interested, this is the card
>
> http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136&prod_no=1457
>
> Card is in and running and I am using the 180.37 nvidia drivers and JY
> Avenard's stable release (Thanks again JY! and others)
>
> I was wondering what settings I should use for de-interlacing with respect
> to what works best in Australia
>
> I was thinking that I should define the de-interlacing as follows:
>
> == 1920 x 1080  ----- advanced 2x fallback to temporal 1x
>
>> 1280 x 720 ------- advanced 2x fallback to temporal 1x
>
> ==1280 x 720 ----- none
>
> < 1280 x 720 ------ advanced 2x fallback to temporal 1x
>
> Do I need to account for 720p sources or will vdpau detect that
> deinterlacing is not needed?

The 2nd line makes the 1st line redundant. Either way, I think myth
can discern whether deinterlacers are needed or not. There is no way
to make a setting to distinguish between interlaced and progressive
content in the playback profiles. So if it was a problem your current
setup would still be trying to deinterlace 480p and 1080p content. I
just setup the deinterlacers for everything in my playback profile and
I have never scene any issues with my progressive content. If you want
to make certain I would guess you can check the logs during playback
and see what it says there.

However, your 8400GS can't do advanced 2x at 1080i. It may be worth
while to take a few minutes and see what the max resolution you can
get to with Advanced 2x, and also find best deinterlacer that will
work with your 1080i content. I would guess you would end up with
something more like: