[mythtv-users] RAM differences, was: will this system cut it ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 15:07:04 UTC 2009

>> For ddr2 I do not see a big difference in price. I mean for $25 USA
>> you can easily get 2GB of quality DDR2 and for $50 you can get 4GB
>> quality DDR2.
>
> Certainly DDR2 is the cheapest to buy today, as it is current production. Is
> DDR2 really "better" in some way then DDR, or is it just cheaper to produce,
> thus leading to better margins?
>
> Of course you don't have much choice these days, you have to buy what fits
> into your mobo, and there are not too many non-DDR2 machines available new
> today.
>
> My question really is, what do you mean by "quality"?

Corsair, Samsung, Crucial, GSkill, Kingston

In that order.

> Is there any reason to
> not buy "crappy" RAM (whatever that might be) as long as it seems to work?
> What sort of problems should I look for to indicate the RAM lacks "quality".

At work I have had my share of bad results (unstable ram) with other
brands that I pretty much stay away from the bottom end of the price
range ram. I also take newegg's ratings very seriously and read the
reviews for any manufacturer that I do not know. This does not prevent
getting a bad dimm from a good manufacturer but if the manufacturer is
only selling bad ram there is no reason to take the chance.

John