[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Fri Mar 13 16:05:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 06:56:12PM +0000, stefan_jones at comcast.net wrote:
> Portland, OR Comcast customers are facing the digital conversion too. The cutover is April 15.

I didn't know that! I have Comast in Portland, the basic tier.

> Some information I've gathered:
>
> * The low-end "Basic Cable" channels will still be available in analog. So your analog tuners will still be able to record the big networks and various community access and shopping channels.
>
> * While not guaranteed, it is likely that the high-def digital broadcast channels in your area (generally the big networks) will still be available as clear QAM channels. They miight scramble them eventually, but for a time they'll be unencrypted.
>
> * The replacement digital "Standard Cable" channels will be, for a time at least, clear QAM. Which means your existing digital tuners will be able to capture from them.
>
> * In the Portland area, these replacement digital channels are already active! I am able to tune into them with my HDTV. My MythBox's digital tuner can also see them, but I had to use a technique in the Wiki to get the correct channel numbers. The mythtvsetup scanner wasn't up to the task.

Yeh, I rescanned in mythtv, and can't find the channels. My HDTV scanned
and found the channels.

So what wiki article are you talking about? A link please, and/or can you
post your channel.conf equivalent?

I've used channels.conf before but that was a few years ago.

Gahhh ... I'm way behind, I just noticed .21 is out!!!

-- Patrick Mansfield