[mythtv-users] SATA Drive Dock, was:...anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 14 01:28:43 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 19:14:25 Michael Lynch wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Michael Donaghy
>
> <mdonaghy at michaeldonaghy.com> wrote:

> I just got this
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822101131 (it
> includes the WD 1tb Green drive) in yesterday.  So far so good.
>
> Plug in the dock
> Put the drive in the dock
> fdisk the disk
> format the drive (around 20 seconds with jfs)
> add it to my default storage group
> move all of my stuff from my old disks to this one because im going
> from 4x200 to 1x1tb to save power/$$
>
> So far I've been impressed with the hardware.  The newegg reviews are
> mixed, with some folks saying that it seems flimsy and other negative
> comments.  I have no issues with the dock nor setting it up for use.

I can see it being very useful for copying or transferring drive data, or
presetting up drives for multiple systems. Basically good for working on/with
drives for any reason, even power measurements.

I'm not sure I would use it as a permanent storage solution, especially if it
was within range of little children's fingers.

The drives are much faster in their native configuration than in a
USB-connected device, is there some reason you need them to be external, or
is it just convenience?

But if USB is fast enough for your needs, and you have no kids or destructive
type adults, it should work fine.

Adding eSATA to its capability would make it even more useful.

I was supposed to get a pair of WDs delivered today. All FedEX can tell me is
they are somewhere between California and Memphis, and I should get them
Monday. Grrrrrr... Haven't they heard of instant gratification?
--
beww
beww at beww.org