[mythtv-users] Why does MythTV re-negotiate firewire connections when switching inputs?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 04:51:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:

> I have a system that includes a firewire connection to a Motorola
> DCH-3200, and a Hauppauge PVR-150.  When I view a firewire
> channel, MythTV tries to negotiate a lock on the channel that I
> want to view.  I have noticed that if I switch to the PVR-150,
> then switch back to the firewire, MythTV tries to re-negotiate
> the firewire channel lock.  Why does it do this?  Why not just
> "hold" the old connection while the PVR-150 is being viewed?
> I ask this because firewire is flaky at best, and any time a
> firewire channel lock is negotiated there is always a chance of
> a hang or crash.

Probably for the reason that Myth doesn't record channels you're not
watching unless you've scheduled a recording.  Yes, it could theoretically
keep recording for X minutes after you stop watching but then you've also
introduced situations where tuners could be locked/recording and bump
previously scheduled shows.  Short answer, it isn't a feature.

Kevin