[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun 1012xxxxx vs later models (Rev1 vs Rev2 tuners)

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Mar 15 07:16:10 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> You might also need a bi-directional amp, if your cable modem is after the
> amplifier. The modem needs to be able to send a signal back to the cable
> system.

If it were me, I think I'd put a splitter before the amp and put the
cable modem on one leg of the splitter.  This is assuming the 3 dB loss
of the splitter isn't too much for the modem, but it usually isn't.

In general, when I had a cable modem, I tried to put it on the first
split.  e.g., if I had to go to three TVs, I'd use a two-way splitter
with the modem on one leg, then put a three-way splitter on the other
leg for the TVs.  TVs are usually less picky about signal loss than modems.