[mythtv-users] Freeview & Freesat combined (UK DVBT & DVBS)

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:41:44 UTC 2009

2009/3/16 Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>:

> On 16 Mar 2009, at 17:56, Another Sillyname wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to reiterate, callsign needs to match, nothing else matters!
>>> --
>>> Mike Holden
>
> Got it, after an RSI inducing session with MythWeb, had flashbacks of using
> Windows for a moment with all that clicking!!
> Now my upcoming recordings makes a great deal more sense.
>>
>> mythweb -->  MythTV (on the 'command' line, extreme left)  -->
>> Settings  -->  TV  -->  Channel Info
>>
>> This will give you a complete list of the channels and their channel num
>
> Thanks, got that.
>

>> On the right hand sign there's an option box for each channel labelled
>> 'visible'
>>

> Do you know if the scheduler will still find something on a channel that
> isn't visible? It would need the scheduler box ticked of course but it would
> be good to know, I'll find out in a month or two I guess.

No it won't.....in effective a non visible channel is non active, I'm
not even sure if the EIT data get's populated for it.  By the way I
always get 8 days EIT data without any problems.

>> Deselect the visible option for channels that are duplicated on DVB-S
>> (you can even renumber the channel order if you like and you can have
>> duplicate channel numbers as long as only one is selected visible).
>>
>> In a nutshell I get the bulk of my channels from DVB-T and then
>> supplement the following DVB-S channels
>>
>> Film 4+1, BBC 1&2 (NI & Scotland for sports not broadcast in England),
>
> So does your BBC Scotland match your BBC ONE or do you treat it as a
> separate channel?
> I have visions of sitting down to the Gaelic version of East Enders, I know
> East Enders isn't in Gaelic and I don't watch it anyway but you know what I
> mean.

I treat it as a different channel.....specifically the extra BBC and
ITV Channels are in the 240 channel number range and DO get found on a
EIT data search.

241 BBC 1 NI
242 BBC 1 Scotland
243 BBC 2 NI
244 BBC 2 Scotland
etc....

Zone Channels 210-219
Films 4 Men etc channels 220-229

>> The channel numbering makes sense and I have no channel 17438 type
>> problems (All TV is up to 299, all radio is 300+), for example BBC HD
>> is 201, ITV HD is 202 Four HD is 204.
>
> Oops Freudian slip perhaps, Four HD?
> I know, I know, not on this list....
>>
>> When choosing to watch a show I'll make sure I don't choose "record on
>> any channel" any more, instead I choose "record at any time on Channel
>
> I quite like what any channel does but I'll give it a go.

I think you'll find it better in the long game.....some channels
(channel 5 springs to mind) have different program idents for repeats
shown on 5USA and Fiver, the "record at any time on this channel"
selection solves the problem.  Also Dave is a major PITA as it repeats
so many shows originally aired from other channels and has no program
idents in it's headers.....you end up with loads of unwanted
recordings.