[mythtv-users] Comcast putting the squeeze on Analog cable

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:31:04 UTC 2009

Comcast in my area is planning to cripple analog cable service by limiting
service to channels 2-33 starting March 16th.

With the broadcast transition from analog to digital TV, I BELIEVED that the
message was intended to be: "If you don't have cable, you need to ...". Now,
I FEEL that Comcast's arbitrary crippling of their analog cable service is
contrary to the message that was being presented around the US DTV cutover.

At the moment, I'm very happy with my PVR-500 and analog cable. At some
point, I'll go to an HDPVR, but I don't want to do it this week, and I don't
want to be forced to do it based on an arbitrary decision by my cable
provide to start reducing my channel lineup.

Something about this whole mess feels to me to violate the spirit of the
broadcast transition to digital. I'm pretty sure I'm justified in feeling
like I'm getting the short end of the stick, but... is Comcast ALLOWED to do
this?

-Ross