[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 22:59:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM, David Rees <drees76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>> On Mon, March 16, 2009 10:29 am, John Drescher wrote:
>>> Years ago I moved to 100% Seagate because they were the only one with
>>> a 5 year warranty.
>>
>> Western Digital also offers 5-year warranties on their "enterprise" class
>> drives.
>
> Also note that Seagate no longer offers 5-year warranties on OEM drives.

Yes, I know that.

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148373
>
> While I used to be a "Seagate or nothing" fan,
The 5 year to 3 year warranty made me think I may switch but then I
got to thinking about how much value a 4+ year drive retains since
hard drives I will buy now cost $100 to $130 US new.

> after their recent
> firmware, drive bricking and high early infant death problems, I am
> not such a huge Seagate fanboy now.

I have had no problems at all with this, however I purchased most of
my 20+ 7200.11 drives (at work) 8 months ago when 750GB models cost
over $130USA.

John