[mythtv-users] Going to add HD-- anyone with the WD "green" sata drive?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 01:38:37 UTC 2009

I have post this to the list before, but the google hard drive failure
study is a great reference for drive failure rates and causes:
http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf. It is short and
you can just skim over the charts and read some of their conclusions.
Some of the interesting tid-bits are that heavy utilization doesn't
correlate with higher failure rates (except in brand new or very old
drives), and low temperatures rather than high temperatures correlate
with higher failure rates. They say there were distinct models and
vintages with significantly higher failure rates, but they wouldn't
tell us any of those specifics.

One metric I look at when thinking about performance and efficiency is
areal density and the number of platters. When picking up a 1 TB
drive, some will use 4x250 GB platters while others will use 2x500 GB
platters. It is only 1 in many things that affect performance, but
generally the higher density platters will have lower seek times and
use less energy.