[mythtv-users] The state of ATSC closed captioning

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:07:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/17 Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com>:

>>> Thank you!  I had taken broken HD captions as a fact of life and never
>>> thought of looking for a solution.  Ahhhhh.
>>> For anyone looking for this: Setup->TV Setting->Playback OSD, 3rd page.
>>
>> I have turned off this option, but CCs are still broken in the same way (CCs
>> printed on top of each other). I am using 0.21-fixes.
>
> During playback, are you selecting the ATSC captions, or the VBI captions?

Do all ATSC streams also have VBI captions? I see some stuff that has
the "white/black" bars on the top but it's usually upconverted SD
content... I never see it on HD content. I wish I was a programmer but
I'm not, but is there no one interested (and able) in making these
work properly?

Richard

Richard