[mythtv-users] myth front end on new mac mini core 2 duo?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 05:26:57 UTC 2009

Hi Damian,

> Does anyone have an direct experience (or know someone/URL) of getting one
> of the new Mac Mini (upper model - the one with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
> with 256MB of shared DDR3 SDRAM) working with the OS X mythfrontend ?
>
> If so... can you answer... does it play HD (1080i) content without trouble?

I just got a new mini yesterday.  It's the base model.

I downloaded the latest -fixes branch release of the frontend and played with that for a short while.  I didn't do any scientific testing, but it didn't appear that any acceleration was in use.  The video played back fine, but it seemed a bit sluggish in fast moving scenes and after jumps forward.  I don't see any evidence that GPU acceleration is being used.  (I didn't see any evidence that it wasn't being used either.)

I've installed mythbuntu on a bootcamp partition using the instructions here:  http://blog.costan.us/2009/03/ubuntu-810-or-904-on-mac-mini.html   The video playback performance in that installation "feels" a bit better.  My goal is to get VDPAU working on it in the next few days.

Jason