[mythtv-users] iPhone Frontend Issues

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 20:23:31 UTC 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Chase Douglas
> <chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess the main drawback to this idea is that you will only be
>> able to seek
>> within a given segment. If you are in the first segment of the
>> show, the
>> player is only going to show the seek bar relative to that segment.
>> The user
>> won't be able to seek to a later segment easily.
>>
>> I think even with that drawback some users would like the
>> commercial skip
>> support like this. I probably won't work on it at first, but in the
>> future
>> I'll kick it around some and maybe make it an option for those who
>> know what
>> they're doing.
>>

> Maybe this is due to my confusion, but wouldn't your app have to
> transcode to h.264 level 3 + mp3 or aac-he on the fly (assuming the
> recording is not in the format)?  If so, why couldn't the transcoding
> respect the commercial cutlists at the same time and just skip past
> that?  I am probably missing something here.

Automated commercial skipping is nice, but flaky enough that you can't
assume it will always catch commercials correctly and leave the real
program in place. There needs to be some mechanism for manually
overriding the skips on the frontend, or at least make it an option.

> Either way, I love this idea and of using the native support.  I
> wonder which will come first: your frontend or the non-beta release of
> iPhone OS 3.0.

Ummm, definitely iPhone OS 3.0 since you can't stream live video in
previous releases.

Thanks,
Chase