[mythtv-users] myth front end on new mac mini core 2 duo?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 04:46:31 UTC 2009

> FWIW, I put 4GB of RAM into mine (after receiving it, since Apple
> charges too much to have them do it), and after the RAM upgrade, the nvidia
> config utility reports 512MB of VRAM.
>
> It certainly seems nice and speedy.

I'm in a fairly basic install of mythbuntu (nvidia 177 drivers are
loaded).  I get the following from nvidia-settings:

root at mini2:~# nvidia-settings -q VideoRam

  Attribute 'VideoRam' (localhost:0.0): 524288.
    'VideoRam' is an integer attribute.
    'VideoRam' is a read-only attribute.
    'VideoRam' can use the following target types: X Screen, GPU.

But, I only have 1GB of RAM:

root at mini2:~# free
Mem:        874788     592804     281984          0      24212     337020
-/+ buffers/cache:     231572     643216
Swap:      2201108          0    2201108

It looks to me like the driver has gone and absorbed the max system memory
for VRAM.  Am I reading this output right?  I'm not very familiar with
nvidia settings in Linux.  The nvidia-settings GUI tool also reports 512MB
 video ram.

If so, I'll be pretty happy, because that's what I wanted, but I just want
to confirm that I'm not seeing things.  This might also be the goal that
others want and if the base model works with Linux with 512mb VRAM, then
that could save folks some money or time with a putty knife.  :)

Jason