[mythtv-users] Help with Storage Directories

Moasat mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org
Fri Mar 20 12:50:37 UTC 2009

Thanks for the replies.  It is becoming clearer (I think).  In my setup, I'm
guessing that I only have to set up the directories in the Default Storage
Group as /mnt/video1 and /mnt/video2.  These drives are local to the MBE.
As long as I mount them in the same place on the SBE, I don't have to really
configure anything on the SBE as far as Storage Groups go.  I don't plan on
having any drives mounted locally on the SBE (yet) as I want the MBE to be
able to serve everything on its own in case I need to take the SBE down for
any reason.

I guess its nice to know the a remote frontend, while looking for a
recording, will go to the MBE, which in turn would go to a SBE to find the
show.  If I read that other post correctly, if such a scenario were to
occur, it would be caused by having a local drive in the SBE which the MBE
had no access to.  Would the MBE then cause the SBE to stream it straight to
the FE?  Or would the SBE stream it to the MBE which would then turn around
and stream it to the FE?  This doesn't affect me yet but it might if I have
to throw more drives into the SBE.