[mythtv-users] Getting TV to work has killed sound completely [SOLVED]

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Fri Mar 20 23:55:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 3:26 AM, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:

> ... or at least I think it's solved.
>
> Following advice on this web page:
>

> http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/11/fix-for-no-sound-issue-in-ubuntu-810.html
>
> ... I ran the command:
>
> sudo alsa force-reload
>
> And that seems to have brought sound back.
>
> I am not sure why this worked and rebooting didn't.
>
> Also, the above page seems to indicate pulseaudio is the problem, but I
> don't think I ever had pulseaudio.
>
> Still, it seems to be working for now, so I'll roll with it.

Were you using digital output?

If so, the problem most likely (or the one I've run into) is that  the
digital output got forced/stuck into DD mode and was not allowing PCM stereo
to pass.  This happens due to a corrupt DD frame (some dvds and digital tv
have this).

When you reboot, ubuntu (and most distros) save your current alsa settings
(like an alsactl dump), and then on startup restore them.  Unfortunatly
those settings are now corrupt (I've done a diff, you can easily see the
setting that is hosed), so rebooting simply reloads the dead settings at
startup again!