[mythtv-users] UPnP Playback Device

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Mar 22 14:56:13 UTC 2009

I'm wondering what experience people have had with UPnP type "Media Players".

I'd like to add such a device to my network, for use by people who are unable
or unwilling to learn to use a full-blown Myth F/E, as well as add the
ability to play back Netflix "Watch Instantly" material.

I have a D-Link DSM-520, it seems to work, but locks up on occasion without
warning, requiring a power cycle to recover.

I'm looking at the Popcorn Hour products, including the motherboard that they
sell (B-110).

I'm also wondering about the Roku unit, sold by Netflix for $99. It certainly
seems to be the cheapest such unit I have seen. Half the price of the D-Link,
with what appears to be similar features.

I have no desire for WiFi, and don't like the idea of paying for it when i
won't use it, but most devices seem to have it. IMHO streaming video over
WiFi might work in some cases, but is not the way to go if you have any other
options.

I suspect all of these units are using the Sigma SMP chipsets, and the
differences are packaging, warranty and "features".

Anyone have any war stories, good or bad, about these units? Any suggestions
as to the best one to use? Or if I should be considering one at all?

--
beww
beww at beww.org