[mythtv-users] Backend for fast commercial flagging (HD-PVR recordings)

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Mar 23 15:58:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:41:11AM -0400, Steve Harrington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to replace my SBE with a machine that can handle real time
> (or as close to it as economically feasible) commercial flagging of my
> HD-PVR recordings recorded at highest quality.  Has anyone had any
> experience with this?  Any suggestions on what to get?
>
> I was thinking about an AMD Phenom II x4.  Any thoughts on this?

    How many jobs are you planning on running concurrently?

    If you are interested in jobs finishing as quickly as possible then
the get the fastest core speed you can and don't worry so much about
getting more cores. Your commflag job is just another client doing playback.
So think of the box doing the flagging as a machine that should be able to
play back the recording in software.

[deletia]