[mythtv-users] FrameSync Area on Perfectly good system

Paulin paulin at spextreme.com
Tue Mar 24 00:52:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Paulin <paulin at spextreme.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've had a myth system setup for a while now.  I'm using Trunk 19992.  It's
> been running very well and in fact over this weekend was the first time I
> had to reboot it in 14 days.
>
> Anyway tonight my wife went to start watching something and it was
> responding very slowly.  So I logged in and checked it out.
>
> On the frontend she was in the screen to select a show to watch.  Top
> command showed the backend pegging the CPU at 100%.  Frontend wouldn't
> respond.  I looked in the frontend log file and saw it spitting out the
> Frame Sync Error as below
>
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.801 [ac3 @ 0xb7040770]frame sync error
>

> This continued.  The log right before the frame sync is
>
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.592 AFD: Opened codec 0x9fc6ba0, id(MPEG2VIDEO)
> type(Video)
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.592 AFD: codec AC3 has 6 channels
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.593 AFD: Opened codec 0x9fc7290, id(AC3) type(Audio)
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 22 0
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 5
> 6
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 27 13
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]invalid mb type in I Frame
> at 22 15
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 42 16
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.698 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 3
> 23
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 16 30
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 4
> 39
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]invalid mb type in I Frame
> at 40 39
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 5
> 40
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 41 40
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 1
> 41
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]ac-tex damaged at 42 41
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]invalid mb type in I Frame
> at 2 42
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]invalid mb type in I Frame
> at 40 42
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]invalid mb type in I Frame
> at 40 43
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at 1
> 44
> 2009-03-23 19:42:59.699 [mpeg2video @ 0xb7040770]skipped MB in I frame at
> 41 44
> [...]

Well I seem to have fixed the problem but not sure why it happened.  The
problem was happening when going to the watch recording screen and myth web
when the MythBackend attempted to generate a preview for one of the
recordings.  The error started popping up in the frontend log but a ps
showed a bunch of mythbackend --generate-preview processes.  I deleted the
offending mpg file (using rm -f xxx.mpg) then reloading.  Now everything
appears to be working fine.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem could have been?  Why would
the recording cause such a problem.  Also should there be any checks in
mythbackend to protect from this type of error?

steve