[mythtv-users] Can anyone explain these MythTV/MythWeb access quirks?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 24 07:55:56 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>  > **However**, if I use ssh to get through my firewall from the wan and
>>  ssh-tunnel to the mythweb screen,
>
>Meaning what?

SSH includes a tunneling facility as standard. On the command line,
adding something like '-L 8080:192.168.1.123:80' builds an encrypted
tunnel between endpoints so that anything (TCP) you send to port 8080
on the local machine gets squirted out the other end and directed at
port 80 on 192.168.1.123. So if 192.168.1.123 is your Myth server,
you can access it at http://localhost:8080

Really handy, it works whenever you are able to use SSH - I use it a
lot for remote access to stuff. No other ports to open or software to
install on the gateway, and all the traffic is encrypted by SSH so
it's as secure as your SSH setup.

There's also an option to build a tunnel the other way, giving
devices on the remote network access to devices on your local net.

And if you can get your head around it, you can do fun things like
setup a tunnel using the remote gateway, then SSH over this tunnel to
another machine on the remote net, and do X-forwarding to get native
X access to it.

--
Simon Hobson