[mythtv-users] Backend for fast commercial flagging (HD-PVR recordings)

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Mar 24 16:56:59 UTC 2009

jedi wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:48:04AM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:
>> Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net>, said on Tue Mar 24, 2009 [08:20:33 AM]:
>> } >>> I will be doing up to 4 commercial flagging jobs at once, depending on
>> } >>> what's on of course.
>> } >
>> } > Won't you run into disk-i/o troubles, stuttering ..
>> }
>> } He was asking about 13Mbit files, so if he needs 4 recording + 4
>> } flagging  (not to mention anyone watching a recording) then he's gonna
>> } need 104 Mbit/sec. Even the fastest hard disk (the velociraptor) won't
>> } keep up with this (even it's sequential read/write speeds will drop
>> } below this from time to time). However, any pair of half decent hard
>> } drives should have no trouble handling this as long as the recordings
>> } are split between them, or if they are in a RAID 0 setup.
>> }
>>
>> your average sata drive is 30-40 MB/s, really good ones 70MB/s.
>> but fortunately 104 is Mbits not MB. so a single drive could keep
>> up with 4 streams.
I can copy a 1398376250bytes file from my network to local disk in
23.01sec, so 60772544bytes per sec. but lots of small-files is a totally
different story because of seeking. And that is what
recording/flagging/watching of 4-.. files at a time is all about.
though if its also a system drive it wont