[mythtv-users] Automatic onversion from MPEG-2 to H264

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Tue Mar 24 19:00:13 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Gerald Brandt wrote:
>> 2. Any hints on getting the best quality?
>
> Two-pass will give significantly better quality than one-pass at the
> same bitrate.  If you're not in a big hurry, use two-pass.
Quality ain't better, but uses slightly less diskspace, so average
bitrate will be a little lower, needing less diskspace.

> Quality is highly subjective.
setting qmin=16 qmax=32 will visually give good results.
Setting qmin to lower value will get higher quality, needing more
processing power, more bits, more diskspace.
Setting qmax to a higher value will save bits, but lower quality
I suggest taking a short recording that's
> representative of what you watch and doing a few test encodes at
> different bitrates.  It will also depend a bit on signal quality --
> noisier signals will need a higher bitrate, because random noise is hard
> to encode.
>
> Consider not re-encoding the audio.  It's probably AAC,
I don't think a PVR-150 produces AAC.
which is pretty