[mythtv-users] NEWBIE QUESTION--Backing up database from command line and other dumb questions

andrew wordsworth andrewwordsworth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:21:49 UTC 2009

THrough a combination of stupidity and tiredness I have mucked up my
system to the extent where the GUI doesn't start.

My system was running fine using the latest version of UBUNTU Jaunty
Jackalope because i needed the drivers to support a WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2
and they are included in the latest kernel.

Stupidly I have applied a partial update and now the screen goes to
snow when I start. I have spent a few days applying updates as they
come out but I now realize that discretion is the better part of valor
and that a reinstall is going to work better.

Now I have lots of recordings which I would like to save so I would
like to  back up the database reinstall an OS. (Perhaps not vanilla
UBUNTU any suggestions?).

The Kernel is on a separate partition as are all the recordings.

Any help appreciated.

Andrew