[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 02:36:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> It's not just that it's a specialty, it's that these things really are
> non-trivial to make. Effectively, each panel is a silicon chip the size of
> ... well a large panel. New designs come along from time to time, but at the
> moment, the bulk of panels are big silicon chips.

Back in the late 90's there was an issue of Popular Science with a
cover article about the newly-acquired ability to make "solar
shingles" by depositing thin layers of silicon on stainless steel.
(And even earlier there were articles about "roll-to-roll"
manufacturing processes.)  It seems you can actually buy solar cells
that look like shingles now ("roof integrated", they call it), but
they still cost more.  I don't get it; this technology should be
cheaper than making the single-crystal cells.  Suspect somebody is in
the way, acting as a gatekeeper (maybe it's a patent problem).