[mythtv-users] Seagate 1.5TB for 109.99

Dean Collins Dean at cognation.net
Thu Mar 26 10:15:56 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Martin Bene
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:46 AM
To: 'Discussion about mythtv'
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Seagate 1.5TB for 109.99

Hi,

> Just wondering, I heard about some issues with this drive
> from some myth users a few months back. Have those issues
> been fixed? Can someone recommend
> this drive to me for my main recordings drive?

Back then, the issue was cache flush commands not completing while
streaming data off the drive. This only happend with the drive write
cache enabled.

A firmware update that fixed this issue was provided by seagate.

Next there was a 2nd firmware problem: certain drives could be "bricked"
when power cycling; also fixed by a firmware update.

At least for me, a final issue remains: I've never had harddrives
develop so many relocated sectors in such a short time. I started
logging changes  when I first noticed the sector counts (about one month
after initial install) - they had all started out clean.

Table contains a date column and relocated sector counts for each of my
5 drives:

2009-01-14 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 2; 7;
2009-02-12 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 2; 20;
2009-03-11 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 3; 20;
2009-03-17 01:00:02; 0; 1; 1; 3; 21;
2009-03-18 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 4; 21;

So after about 4 Months, 4 out of 5 drives show reallocated sectors;

I've got a 2nd batch of 8 drives at work but they're behind a HP P400
Controller that unfortunately doesn't allow access to the smart data, so
no Idea how these are doing. At least ther have been no outright
failures.

Bye, Martin

Yep this is the problem I'm now having still with SD1B firmware.

These firmware updates are not solving the problems and Seagate
whitewashing with PR saying the issue is resolved is just plain false.

I feel cheated I now have 4 out of 7 as 'reconditioned drives'  after
wasting a little over $1000 on brand new Seagate product and not being
able to use it for it's intended purposes.

Regards,

Dean Collins
Cognation Inc
dean at cognation.net