[mythtv-users] Seagate 1.5TB for 109.99

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 17:03:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:52 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Thu, March 26, 2009 2:46 am, Martin Bene wrote:
>> At least for me, a final issue remains: I've never had harddrives develop
>> so many relocated sectors in such a short time.
>
> Seems to me that can only get worse as data densities go up.  The same
> size surface defect now affects a lot more sectors than it would have in
> the past.

Do you guys remember hard drives from 20 years ago? I mean you paid
$700 USA for them and they all came with a list of 100s of bad sectors
standard and as you used them more would be added. You had to
regularly run checkdisk to test your sectors... Things are much better
now and densities are very much higher.

I am not sure this has a any correlation with densities. At work I
have 200+ drives that spin 24/7/365. Some of these are 7 or more years
old and when I look at the number of remapped sectors on any of these
(from 8GB ide drives to 750GB Segate 7200.11 drives) it usually is
less than 20.

John