[mythtv-users] Fixing BBC HD AC3 for PS3 playback

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Fri Mar 27 12:57:20 UTC 2009

Andre Newman wrote:
> I've found a more MythTV friendly way to fix BBC HD recordings so they
> play properly on the PS3 but I'm not too hot on the scripting so it
> could use some input....
>
> I have added a user job to search and replace on the recorded file and
> replace the wrong AC3 headers with the AC3 private data header that the
> PS3 is happy with. I'm using bbe which is packaged with Ubuntu and can
> handle binary replace on >2GB files, took a while to find something fast
> that could do this.
>
> The job:
> mv "%DIR%/%FILE%" "%DIR%/%FILE%.ts" ; bbe -e
> "s/\xFF\x00\x00\x01\xC0/\xFF\x00\x00\x01\xBD/" "%DIR%/%FILE%.ts" >
> "%DIR%/%FILE%" ;
>
> Before anyone tells me this a very crude way to fix the transport stream
> I know that already ;-) this works correctly on all the BBC HD
> recordings I have (~2TB worth) and produces the exact same file as the
> windows BBCHDFixer.exe I had been using. I'm working on a way to
> mislabel the audio description channel so the PS3 ignores it as I
> currently have to manually select the second audio stream on playback.
>
> I'm leaving the unconverted version of the file around until I'm happy
> that the job runs reliably, which currently it doesn't! 90% of the time
> it's fine but 10% the job appears in the queue as completed but there's
> no .ts version of the file and no errors showing in the mythbackend.log
> I'm thinking that the job needs some better failure/ completion
> signalling (some at all) but don't really know where to start in adding
> that.
>
> I've wasted days trying to get ffmpeg or mencoder (latest svn of both)
> to remux the recordings but mencoder doesn't seem to like demuxing the
> BBC HD stream correctly and ffmpeg seems to generate a broken transport
> stream.
> This is my best so far ffmpeg in case there is an ffmpeg guru around:
>
> ffmpeg -i file.mpg -f mpegts -copyts -map 0.0:0.0 -map 0.3:0.1 -vcodec
> copy -acodec copy -fflags genpts outfile.mpg
I also played with BBCHD, the only way, at least for me, is to use
tsmuxer to let it play on my PopCornHour.
The linux version is tsmuxer is an older one which isn't up to the task,
I use the windows version with wine which works perfectly. With this
tools you also can stripout the unwanted NAR an other audio channels,
leaving only Video and AC3