[mythtv-users] Front-end No live tv

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 28 14:32:20 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 08:13:28 Gerry Teichman wrote:
> Greetings,

> friend installed mythtv on my dedicated Ubuntu 8.10 system. After he
> left, I tried to watch TV by clicking on the Watch TV button. The
> button darkened a bit but nothing happened.
>
> I have a ATI HDTV-Wonder card. I am receiving over the air DBV. I have a
> Nvidia 7600 video card. AMD 64x2 4000. My reception is fair.
>
> you can look at my logs here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/m7678495b
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

A couple of others have given you some good pointers.

I think this sort of problem points out the hazard of having someone else
install Myth for you, unless he or she is willing to stick around more or
less permanently.

Myth is not (yet) to the "appliance" stage, as evidenced by the <1.0 version
number.

Taking the time to understand Myth, as well as the underlying OS, is really
worthwhile, and will result in a much better Myth experience.

In my experience, you can hand a perfectly installed Myth system to someone,
and unless they understand how to set it up they will almost certainly not be
satisfied.

One approach is to install one of the "all-in-one" distributions (linHES,
Mythdora, Mythbuntu etc.). These will usually install a working system for
you, so you can learn how things should work, and how to set things up, then
you can go ahead and install from scratch, modifying for your own personal
needs and wants.

It helps to know what is right, before you try and figure out what is wrong.

--
beww
beww at beww.org