[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat Mar 28 18:09:30 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

I have a Fedora based backend that has been running forever using a raid5
array with LVM over top of it.  I'm going to set up a new backend to
replace it, and have a couple of questions based on what I have read:

1) CentOS vs. Fedora
I've used Fedora forever, however I'm tired of how often a new version
comes out.  It's great for systems I play with, not for my main server.  Is
CentOS supported pretty well for Myth?  I'll be running two HD5500's and a
PVR-250 in it as a backend only.  Also, I can find a release history, but
does it always coincide with RedHat Enterprise?  And can the RPMs from
atrpms.net be used with it?

2) RAID vs LVM
Do the new kernels that are shipped with Fedora and CentOS have the ability
to use the mdadm --grow command?  If I'm just going to use one giant
partition, is there any advantage to continuing to use LVM?  Just seems
like one more translation that I don't need if I can grow the raid array.
Also, what partition do you guys recommend on either?  I've used ext3
forever, but the wiki said I may want to try something else.