[mythtv-users] VDPAU, it's something else! Thanks!

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Mar 29 03:23:24 UTC 2009

>> I bit the bullet.
>> I have added Jean-Yves' repo, upgraded, added the
>> profile, tweaked the mplayer conf file, and voila!
>>
>> So, thanks to the devs for the VDPAU support, thanks to
>> Jean-Yves for his backport and repo.
>>
>> Neat, very neat.
>>

> I would also like to thank Jean-Yves for his contribution. Made
> the move to VDPAU a breeze and rescued my master FE/BE from early
> retirement.
>
> I already built a core 2 duo replacement for it, but the old P4
> plays HD fine with VDPAU so I can't see replacing it... now to
> figure out what to do with the core 2.

Yeah, have to concur.  I built a BE/FE around a Core 2 Quad 6600 and an
8600GT video card last year; wish I hadn't now - with VDPAU, watching HD
720p video files requires consistently *less than 1%* CPU utilization;
1080 only slightly more.  This would have run just fine on the old
Athlon-64x2 system I upgraded from!

Thanks again to Jean-Yves for his efforts.  Since I'm running on Ubuntu
8.10, getting this working was painless.    All I need now is HD-PVR
support within Myth and all will be copacetic (yeah, I know - "0.22").

Thanks to all!
Bob