[mythtv-users] VDPAU question

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 08:01:38 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/29 Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>:
> That's not at all true.  You still need to decode audio, and everything else
> besides video decoding.  People are talking about resurrecting their old low
> end Via systems and such.  Even lowly mp3 would take a decent chunk of CPU
> to decode on an older machine.  I have to believe high bitrate DTS, and some

Are you serious ?

I can decode pretty much any MP3 with an ARM9 running at 48MHz ....

Most video come with a 2 channel PCM, And for DTS, AC3 and others most
would passthrough those via the SPDIF port or HDMI

And for saying that what I wrote isn't true, did you fully read my
message regarding CPU usage...
my C2D is currently running at 1.6GHz (ondemand cpufreq profile, and
it can't go any lower)
playing a bluray RIP, full bitstream h264 1080P video:

22493 myth      20   0  707m 223m  46m S    7 11.1  26:59.36 mythfrontend.re

7% ....

That's with a DD+ 5.1 channel audio

what processor do you think is required then ?

> of the mre intensive audio options on Bluray/HDDVD would overwhelm those
> chips.

Most of which aren't supported by mythtv or ffmpeg anyway...