[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

lj larry at foxgulch.com
Sun Mar 29 16:03:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 08:38 -0500, Larry on the Dell Laptop wrote:
> Here is my two cents on this problem after reading all the other
> suggestions:
>
> Adding  Option "UseEvents" "True"  did NOT fix the problem here.  It
> didn't hurt anything as far as I could tell. (See below for my versions)
>
> When the backup of events happens,  the keyboard is also affected.   If
> I can't get the remote to respond, the keyboard pressed are  similarly
> delayed.
>
> I'm very reluctant to upgrade at this time remembering some sad attempts
> in the past where an "upgrade" totally hosed my mythtv box.
>
> Mike suggested on this list that the problem might be associated with
> the screensaver provided by gnome.  To test this theory, I entered on
> the command line (in a terminal) this command:
>
> lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome
>
> and saw that **YES**,  the suspect gnome-screensav (er) was running! I
> thought I had disabled it:
>
> lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome
> 6478 gnome-session
> 6665 gnome-keyring-d
> 6671 gnome-settings-
> 6678 gnome-keyring-d
> 6685 gnome-panel
> 6728 gnome-power-man
> 6753 gnome-screensav
>
> So  to test the theory that the gnome screen saver is somehow
> implicated,  I decided to stop the gnome screensaver from running
> temporarily (gone until I reboot) while I did some tests.   I did this:
>
> lj at mythtv:~$ kill -9 6753
>
> and then noted with another run of pgrep that screensav (er) process was
> indeed gone from the list:
>
> lj at mythtv:~$ pgrep -l gnome
> 6478 gnome-session
> 6665 gnome-keyring-d
> 6671 gnome-settings-
> 6678 gnome-keyring-d
> 6685 gnome-panel
> 6728 gnome-power-man
>
> Then I brought up an HD OTA recording of the Tonight Show and pressed
> down on the skip forward /skip backward buttons until my index finger
> went to sleep.     I could  not  trigger a  remote keypress delay failure!
>
> Could someone else try this using the steps above  and confirm the
> gnome-screensav (er) theory?  Please post your results under the subject
> noted above.   I'll run for a few days and see if the delay resurfaces.
> (Its Sunday March 29,2009) then report my results here.  My better half
> will thank you!
>
> Larry
>
> FYI, here are my mythbuntu 8.10 with gnome versions on the affected
> mythtv box:
>
> lj at mythtv:~$ mythbackend --version
> Please include all output in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 18722
> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
> Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
> Network Protocol : 40
> Options compiled in:
>  linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend
> using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
> [...]

REF: above  and   "could  not  trigger a  remote keypress delay
failure!"

Practically as soon as I sent the message, I got the problem.  One must
wait apparently for several minutes before trying to see if the remote
button presses are delayed.

Interestingly,  I have this problem on  a separate frontend  as well as
on my  the frontend/backend main box.   All running the same version
(previously posted).

At this time,  I don't see a connection between the gnome-screen saver
and this ir remote button delay/keyboard press delay.

Next, going to educate my self about "nice" and see what the lirc
process priority/nice is.

Larry