[mythtv-users] Ubuntu restore & unable to get past "select your preferred language" screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 29 17:35:59 UTC 2009

On 03/29/2009 01:18 PM, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2009, at 1:09 AM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
>
>> Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>>> I'm still having problems getting the mythtv account working.
>>> Everytime I boot or log back in, I get the "Select your preferred
>>> language" screen. I do as asked, but makes no difference.
>>> I have checked all permissions in the ~/mythtv directory, and they
>>> are owned by mythtv.
>>> Is there somewhere else that this may be a problem?
>>
>> Make sure that the file that contains your database settings (usually
>> /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt) is owned by user mythtv and group mythtv, and
>> has 660 permissions.
>
> Just looked, and it is owned by mythtv:mythtv, and double-checked the
> permissions. also correct.

Add a line to your mysql.txt (either in ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt or
/usr/{,local/}share/mythtv/mysql.txt --or possibly somewhere else, but
your best bet is to get rid of all of them but one to make sure you're
using the one you think you're using) that says:

LocalHostName=<some identifier>

The identifier should probably be the hostname that your system is using
(with or without domain, as determined by your system config--use
whatever the `hostname` command without arguments gives).  It's not a
fix, but it may just prevent the symptom of the problem from occurring
(i.e. you won't see the issue).

Mike