[mythtv-users] What HDMI Video / Audio card

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Sun Mar 29 22:59:30 UTC 2009

> planing to set up a Mythtv box, I can not find sufficient references
> about a Video card whom is able to display video as well as audio
> signal on HDMI

Almost every HDMI-enabled video card I've seen has an internal SPDIF
socket on it, so you can hook up the motherboard's on-board SPDIF
socket to it. Then all you have to do is configure SPDIF/AC3-passthru
which will make it's way down the HDMI cable to whatever it's hooked
in to. I have a cheap nvidia 9500GT that I picked up for about £40,
with HDMI audio from my mobo and it works a charm, VDPAU capable too.
Mine worked out of the box.

My kit:

nVidia 9500GT SLI 512MB GDDR2
Foxconn G33M motherboard (using Intel HD Audio for the SPDIF) http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000319