[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 30 15:06:57 UTC 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 08:49:03 Travis Tabbal wrote:
> It just doesn't make sense to buy a new drive for the OS though, as
> it only needs about 10G and it's hard to find cheap small drives. No point
> in wasting a big disk on the OS. Perhaps I'll get another 8G USB flash
> stick. That's working very well on the bedroom FE machine.

I've seen 40GB refurbed WD drives for $16.99. Also, the compact flash to SATA
adapters with a microdrive are possible, but the total cost comes close to
those 40GB drives.

The microdrives are faster than flash, and don't have the potential burnout
problems, but they are not as fast as a standard 3.5" HDD. You save power and
case room, but not really any money.

I'd just network boot, but I like to run the DB on the same drive as the OS,
which I suspect is what most folks do. I'd rather not slow down the DB.

Never thought I'd see 40GB as the smallest drive I can buy.

--
beww
beww at beww.org