No subject

Sun Mar 1 18:40:12 UTC 2009

recognize the standard MPEG2 format(* see note) from VLC,(very popular) to
Windows Media Player,to several others, the format is supported so the
LARGEST problem you have is actually getting the recordings TO the laptop (I
recommend FTP as I have found both copying over samba shares and nfs shares
unreliable with this large an amount of data...particularly if you are
talking HD Recordings).

* NOTE: The NUV format is unlikely to be supported across just about any
system other than Linux and any NUV recordings will likely need to be
transcoded to mpeg2 or mpeg4 first before transfer, google for
"Mythtranscode" for more information.

As the poster mentioned above if your only issue is what the files are
named, you can either do the rename yourself (files are in the format of
channel_year|month|day|hour|minute|second (1301_20080503190000.mpg) and it's
very easy within myth to find the video you want and both copy it and rename
it.  That said, this is what mythrename.pl does for you.  You tell it what
file to rename and it will create a copy of the recording with the show name
and such in the file name, very handy.

Again, to be a bit more generic with the discussion, if you are looking to
play this on a device other than a fully blown windows laptop (like an iPod
Touch/Video, Zune, PSP, etc.) then what you need to do is setup something to
take your shows and automatically export them to a format supported by the
device.

If you happen to be using a UBUNTU mythtv based system there is a WONDERFUL
program called "MythExport" (again, google) that will allow you to export
recordings to an iTunes compatable feed that will allow you to very quickly
and easily export myth recordings to a handheld device.  I am currently
sitting at home from a 15 hour drive (with another comming up) ahead of me
and two iPod touches and an iPhone loaded to the brink with various programs
and shows that each person wants to watch on the trip...sure keeps a 7 and 5
year old quiet during a long road trip.

There used to be a more generic setup called myth2ipod which I think I
re-documented on the Myth Wiki at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPod_Export_Solution:_Myth2iPod.  My personal
preference is Mythexport (and if you can make it work it's better) since you
have full web based control and an eaiser to use interface than myth2ipod,
but I did use myth2ipod for several years and it works just as well, albeit
with a bit more manual intervention...and I think that solution is somewhat
limited in the systems it supports (It was built to export to the old iPod
video, so some of the settings are likely very user specific.)  Most of
these systems are command line utilities that allow you to setup a user job
within mythtv to automagically export a recording.

This said, both mythexport and myth2ipod are really nothing more than
wrapper scripts for ffmpeg and the other transcoding utilities you likely
already have installed on your system.  There is NOTHING (other than time
and experience I guess) to keep you from just using ffmpeg and setting up
your own feed to something like iTunes if you're looking to export to a
handheld device.

Looking up things like "mythtv export to ipod" or "export mythtv to windows"
should get you a host of links that might be helpful.

--Douglas Wagner

--0016e644c37e4aa756046ba241b7

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jarpublic at gmail.com">jarpublic at gmail=
rder-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding=
-left: 1ex;">
BE but I&#39;m planning to travel soon and<br>
&gt; would like to take some recordings with me.<br>
&gt; I have a windows laptop that I usually travel with and I&#39;m looking=
 for an<br>
&gt; easy way to watch recordings.<br>
&gt; I figure I could:<br>
&gt; a) copy the raw files. but without the mysql DB the files will<br>
&gt; have=A0cryptic=A0names so WAF will be very low.<br>
&gt; b) mytharchive the recordings to dvd &quot;wasting&quot; a bunch of dv=
ds and battery<br>
&gt; life during playback.<br>
&gt; c) install linux on my laptop and then a FE &amp; tunerless BE, then c=
opy the DB<br>
&gt; &amp; recordings? =A0(this sounds like way too much work!)<br>
&gt; Ideally I&#39;d like to have mpg files with easy names and I feel like=
 this<br>
&gt; should be possible however I don&#39;t have any experience with transc=
oding<br>
&gt; (haven&#39;t needed to).<br>
&gt; Is that the way to go? =A0Any suggestions, pointers to wikis, etc woul=
d be<br>
&gt; appreciated.<br>
se the<br>
link option to get links to the original files but with meaningful<br>
names. Then copy the renamed files over to your laptop and it will<br>
grab the right file and it will have a good name. Also a quick way for<br>
just a few recording is to just download them via mythweb. This will<br>
also give you a meaningful name fore the file.<br>
ation (since the topic might be easily picked up.).<br><br>From a laptop pe=
rspective,there is absolutely no reason to have Myth installed (i.e. Make t=
he laptop a linux laptop and install myth as a separate frontend).=A0 Too, =
the Myth Database is unnecessary for viewing recordings off system.<br>
will recognize the standard MPEG2 format(* see note) from VLC,(very popular=
) to Windows Media Player,to several others, the format is supported so the=
 LARGEST problem you have is actually getting the recordings TO the laptop =
(I recommend FTP as I have found both copying over samba shares and nfs sha=
res unreliable with this large an amount of data...particularly if you are =
talking HD Recordings).=A0 <br>
y system other than Linux and any NUV recordings will likely need to be tra=
nscoded to mpeg2 or mpeg4 first before transfer, google for &quot;Mythtrans=
code&quot; for more information.<br>
named, you can either do the rename yourself (files are in the format of ch=
annel_year|month|day|hour|minute|second (1301_20080503190000.mpg) and it&#3=
9;s very easy within myth to find the video you want and both copy it and r=
ename it.=A0 That said, this is what mythrename.pl does for you.=A0 You tel=
l it what file to rename and it will create a copy of the recording with th=
e show name and such in the file name, very handy.<br>
 to play this on a device other than a fully blown windows laptop (like an =
iPod Touch/Video, Zune, PSP, etc.) then what you need to do is setup someth=
ing to take your shows and automatically export them to a format supported =
by the device.=A0 <br>
RFUL program called &quot;MythExport&quot; (again, google) that will allow =
you to export recordings to an iTunes compatable feed that will allow you t=
o very quickly and easily export myth recordings to a handheld device.=A0 I=
 am currently sitting at home from a 15 hour drive (with another comming up=
) ahead of me and two iPod touches and an iPhone loaded to the brink with v=
arious programs and shows that each person wants to watch on the trip...sur=
e keeps a 7 and 5 year old quiet during a long road trip.<br>
re-documented on the Myth Wiki at <a href=3D"http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPo=
d_Export_Solution:_Myth2iPod">http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IPod_Export_Soluti=
on:_Myth2iPod</a>.=A0 My personal preference is Mythexport (and if you can =
make it work it&#39;s better) since you have full web based control and an =
eaiser to use interface than myth2ipod, but I did use myth2ipod for several=
 years and it works just as well, albeit with a bit more manual interventio=
n...and I think that solution is somewhat limited in the systems it support=
s (It was built to export to the old iPod video, so some of the settings ar=
e likely very user specific.)=A0 Most of these systems are command line uti=
lities that allow you to setup a user job within mythtv to automagically ex=
port a recording.<br>
rapper scripts for ffmpeg and the other transcoding utilities you likely al=
ready have installed on your system.=A0 There is NOTHING (other than time a=
nd experience I guess) to keep you from just using ffmpeg and setting up yo=
ur own feed to something like iTunes if you&#39;re looking to export to a h=
andheld device.<br>
t mythtv to windows&quot; should get you a host of links that might be help=

--0016e644c37e4aa756046ba241b7--