[mythtv-users] CableCARD spoofed by DIY community

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri May 1 16:48:46 UTC 2009

Johnny wrote:
> Although your reasoning makes perfect sense. Just because you want it
> to be that way and you have logical arguments doesn't make it legal
> (in the US).

Lobby even more than the **AA's do. And get rid of Obama, he is not
anti-**AA.
And keep cracking all new drm-schemes.

So:
The mostly US-based and lobbying all the time movie-producers (**AA)
release movies on media with triple or more layers of protection (css,
region-coding, macrovision, etc don't get me started about BD) on disks
that won't stand the lifetime that they promise you, while saying that
they 'license' the content to you. On the other hand they don't provide
you with a new disc (for a `small` fee) when your current disc ends
being playable. They extend the copy`right` beyond reasonable (not just
recently, it has bene for a while, and: yes also in the EU, that is the
**AA's fault) and prosecute anyone who thinks that sharing stuff is OK
to do.
The public appears to be incapable to turn this status quo around at a
higher pace. (yes, it's been going on for quite a time)

How fair is that? How much is that like the idea of `modern` (C) was
when it was put into law for the first time?

I do think that one should be able to backup their data, including that
on DVD's, bluray thingies, etc.
I think that the USA needs a Pirate Party like there is in Sweden and as
are appearing in other European countries.