[mythtv-users] SATA pci card or USB enclosure

Michael Heironimus mkh01 at earthlink.net
Sat May 2 03:05:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 07:00:37PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> Are there actually any drives available that are faster than SATA-1.
> The last I heard the fastest SATA drive on the market was still a 150
> interface.

I've had my SATA drives for quite a while and they have a 3Gbit
interface, though the computer they're in only has 1.5Mbit ports so
that's what they're actually doing. The drives even have a jumper to
force them down to 1.5Mbit in case your controller is crappy enough to
need it.

Of course, the spindles can't come anywhere close to 3Gbit (probably not
even close to 1.5). The difference in interface speed isn't likely to
matter unless I do something that results in lots of misses in the OS
cache but lots of hits in the drive cache. That probably doesn't happen
very often on a consumer drive with factory firmware used for
general-purpose storage.

--
Michael Heironimus