[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] Antenna Problems

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat May 2 21:23:01 UTC 2009

At 3:58 PM -0400 5/2/09, Jason Weida wrote:
>On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Chris Clarke
><<mailto:chrisjohn.clarke at gmail.com>chrisjohn.clarke at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>    I'm having a problem and I'm not too sure where to start
>troubleshooting.  I've got an HDHomerun attached to an antenna I've
>mounted on the side of my house, got it all hooked up and it works
>great, most of the time.  ...
When I see a glitch these days, I ignore it.  ...

Sorry, I missed the original post, somehow.

You mention the antenna is mounted to the side of the house.  You
don't say how far the transmitters are or which direction(s).  Is the
antenna the right design, mounted high enough, and aimed properly?

You also need to think about all the links in the chain from antenna
to tuner.  What type of wire (RG-6 is preferred over RG-59).  Are you
using a preamp?  Any splits?  If so, how many and in what order?  Are
you using a distribution amp?  Two decades ago, one of Jerry
Pournelle's laws of computing was "Check the cables, first".  I think
it still applies.  A kink, a bad crimp or even just a loose
connection might be costing you signal.

Craig