[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Mon May 4 02:18:19 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-05-03 at 17:30 -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
>>
>>> But, I get the same problem I've seen others mention, it only records
>>> sometimes. It starts out fine in LiveTV (on ch2) and sometimes when
>>> switching a channel, it'll switch and display fine. But, subsequent
>>> channel changing, most other times,  the video locks up (NVP pauses,
>>> actually) although it switches channel.
>>>
>>> I didn't see any helpful hints for this in the Wiki, but I remember
>>> that some people had this problem. I searched the mailing list for
>>> some help, but nothing concrete was found. Any hints would be most
>>> helpfule.
>>
>> There is something in setup about allowing a firewire reset. I think I
>> noticed it when I switched to SVN. Did you play with that?
>
> Thanks Andrew. No I haven't, how do I find that?
>
> I've tried to use broadcast most, but the bit won't set when using plugctl.
> I have been able to set p2p mode, but I've only been able to view it
> once in LiveTV. All other times I try it goes into that loop.
> 2 users mentioned that the STB (DCH3416) worked on comcast with the
> broadcast bit set.
> 4/12/08          Jamie   Comcast         DCH3416         Seattle, WA     Most    Non-premium
> (both SD and HD) are available and recording reliably. Had to use
> broadcast mode.
> 4/12/08         Joe     Comcast         DCH3416         Pittsburgh, PA  Most    SD and HD are
> available and recording. Had to use broadcast mode.
>
> this is at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Firewire_Cable_Box_Compatibility
>
> Thus, that's why I've been trying to set the broadcast mode.

All,
I got p2p working. I set the p2p bit and changed the device to Point
to Point and got it working. I don't know why it wasn't working
before. Maybe after I powered off the STB it made a difference (I saw
a couple of posts about turning off/on the STB)

Now I can't change channels. (ain't that just the way. Channel
changing WAS working before!)
I had determined earlier that I needed to set the node when changing
channels, 6200ch didn't default to node 0.
 i.e.:

6200ch -n0

And I placed this in the channel changing section in mythtv-setup. It
worked fine before. Now it doesn't work.

So, I made a bash script to accept a channel number (thinking maybe
"-n0" was getting lost). Now, I can change the channel with this bash
script outside with either user root or mythtv. That is, I can run FE,
change the tuner to the DCH3416 and view the video/audio just fine. I
can go to a terminal and change the channel of the STB fine. Works
honky-dory. I just can't change the channel INSIDE the FE.

I'll continue to search for the answer. If you have any insights,
please let me know!

thanks for your help!

--
Brad Fuller