[mythtv-users] PVR500 and recent mythtv-backend versions

Yann Lehmann aristide at vtxmail.ch
Mon May 4 09:19:31 UTC 2009

James Warden wrote:

> Anyway, I recently upgraded the server to kernel 2.6.29.1-1-686 from debian. It contains ivtv version 1.4.0.
>
> I checked the driver was working well by the trivial 'cat' test:
> cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg and played the mpg file with mplayer or others
> same with /dev/video1

Hi

Could it be related to suspend mode ?

I "upgraded" my master-backend with a PVR-500 and a PVR-150 in it recently
by restoring the DB and the recorded stuff to newer hardware (with newer
Ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.10).

As I can now suspend the system to RAM instead of shutting it down (the old
sytem could not be suspended), sometimes when it wakes up, the tuners don't
work.

As a workaround, I do these 4 steps when resuming:

1) stop mythtv-backend
2) rmmod -f ivtv
3) modprobe ivtv
4) start mythtv-backend

Since then, I never had problems with tuning errors.

I haven't yet found out how to automate this, but I am still trying, if
someone has a good advice (Ubuntu 8.10).

Yann