[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon May 4 08:05:03 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:

>I had a problem with a G4 Mac Mini that kept overheating.  This was
>under OS X.  The fan would be howling away at high speed the whole
>time but it would still overheat.  I disassembled it and found the
>heatsink was packed completely full of lint.  I suppose that's
>unlikely on a "fairly new"  machine, though; the one I was dealing
>with was about three years old.

Another suggestion I'd add is to search the usual sources and see if
there are loads of complaints about poor heatsink mounting. I know
that in some Apple models (mostly laptops I think) there have been
thermal problems (I've had two replacement logic boards under
warranty) and some of them have been down to too much or too little
heatsink compound. So it might be worth checking the heatsink is
properly mounted and has the right quantity of quality thermal
compound.

--
Simon Hobson