[mythtv-users] Need help w/multiple recording directory management. 1 of 2 hit 100% and my back end crashed!

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Mon May 4 13:49:34 UTC 2009

Hi...

1st, yes, if I repartitioned my Slave Back End mythtv box I would place
all recording directories into their OWN partitions.  But, before I
resort to something so drastic...

Does anyone have any experience at managing space on individual
recording directories?

I thought I was safe as I was reserving 30% disk space in the partitions
containing mythtv recordings.  Or so I thought.

My back end was crashing so I checked the mythtv backend logs and saw
error messages about running out of disk space.  Sure enough, the
partition where 1 of my 2 recording directories existed had hit 100%!
The other recoding directory in a different partition was at 40%.  So,
apparently, the 30% free rule I set up either does not work or it
represents 30% free of the total disk space.  Well, it wouldn't be so
bad except that the 100% full partition just happens to be the root
directory!

Ok, so I'll never configure a mythtv box like this again.  But before I
rip into this box - is there a way to manage INDIVIDUAL partition usage
when recording mythtv shows?

-thanks