[mythtv-users] Need help w/multiple recording directory management. 1 of 2 hit 100% and my back end crashed!

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon May 4 14:35:37 UTC 2009

stuart wrote:

> 1st, yes, if I repartitioned my Slave Back End mythtv box I would place
> all recording directories into their OWN partitions.  But, before I
> resort to something so drastic...
>
> My back end was crashing so I checked the mythtv backend logs and saw
> error messages about running out of disk space.  Sure enough, the
> partition where 1 of my 2 recording directories existed had hit 100%!
> The other recoding directory in a different partition was at 40%.  So,
> apparently, the 30% free rule I set up either does not work or it
> represents 30% free of the total disk space.  Well, it wouldn't be so
> bad except that the 100% full partition just happens to be the root
> directory!
>
> Ok, so I'll never configure a mythtv box like this again.  But before I
> rip into this box - is there a way to manage INDIVIDUAL partition usage
> when recording mythtv shows?

You should never, ever be recording video files into the same partition as your
root directory. All you need is for a log file to fill up and you've had it.

Every mythtv guide I have ever seen tells you to set up separate partitions to
store your video data - and also to make sure your mysql database is on a
separate spindle if you can manage it.

You don't need anything very big for your root partition. My system including
mysql database is on an old 8Gb IDE disk. My recordings live on several large
SATA disks.

--

Mike Perkins