[mythtv-users] Audio over HDMI: my story

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:37:12 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the same script referenced in the wiki I posted at
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=AllensDigitalAudioHowto
>
> Just in case someone else finds this thread I wanted to reference that
> as it answers many digital sound questions.  Glad to hear that what
> you did was covered in the wiki even if you didn't find the wiki.

I got brave again and tried again to get HDMI audio working.
Amazingly, all I had to do was use edid_disable_exts and xorg.conf
Option "CustomEDID" (according to
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Analog_Sound_DVI_to_HDMI) and
everything I tried so far gets audio, including HDHR recordings,
PVR-150 recordings, and DVD rips.  My alsa version is 1.0.15, my
nvidia version is 173.14.12, alsamixer reports the IEC958 output is
off, and I didn't need to touch pulseaudio, whatever that is.  I must
have done something good in a past life.

Thanks everyone for the great writeups and instructions.  One less
cable from the TV to hide is great.

Jim