[mythtv-users] Audio over HDMI: my story

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed May 6 22:35:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>>  I presumably don't have the "new driver" problem since mine is 173.x.
>
> Well, I'm not exactly sure when that problem popped up. I didn't have
> it with the 169.x driver, but I did with the 180.x
>

> I'm wondering...are you absolutely positive that you don't have an
> analog audio cable hooked up? I mean, looking back at your very first
> post:
> "my nvidia card has only DVI output, not HDMI, and I was using a
> DVI<->HDMI cable for the hookup.  So, why was I getting any audio in
> the first place?"
>
> I don't know of any way you can get audio into a HDMI cable by hooking
> it up with a DVI adapter. So it sounds to me like maybe you've got an
> analog audio hookup that you don't realize is there. Presumably, when
> you thought you weren't getting HDMI audio working, it was because you
> sound was trying to go through analog audio but your driver was
> transmitting the fake HDMI audio signal. Once you did the custom EDID,
> that signal cut out, and what you thought was your HDMI audio now
> working was actually the fact that your TV wasn't being tricked by the
> fake HDMI audio stream, thus it fell back to using the analog audio
> hookup.
>
> Sorry if I'm questioning you on something that seems obvious. I'm just
> incredibly confused by some of your posts, and this is the only way I
> can make sense of what's going on based on what I know. It really
> sound like you have an analog audio hookup. Perhaps if you don't have
> an audio cable from the mythbox to the TV, maybe you've got analog
> audio running to your stereo receiver, and you have an output from
> your receiver to the analog input on the TV. Or maybe you've got an
> SPDIF out the receiver and it's converting it to analog.

I won't comment on the audio-over-DVI question since it's already been
answered.  Regarding my setup, it's very simple -- just the TV, myth
box, and a DVD player, not even a receiver -- so it was quite clear
that audio was coming over the DVI/HDMI cable.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon about my success.  It's very clear
that some programs were sending audio over the DVI cable.  However,
last night I came downstairs to find my wife watching a program
without sound, so clearly it's not all working.  I'd love to do more
investigation, but the WAF has dipped too low so I need to stick with
the safe approach.

Jim